Monday, April 25, 2011

A year in the baking

This evening when I was preparing dinner (soup), I decided spur of the moment that we needed to have some bread to go with it. I was able to mix, shape, and bake a small loaf of crusty Italian bread in about an hour. I realized that I have Italian breads mastered - I can bake you anything Italian at the drop of a hat. But I've always wanted to be a master of ALL breads.

So...

I've started this blog to track my progress. I'm going to attempt to bake (and hopefully perfect) every type of bread from around the world that I can find a recipe for. I figure this will take between 1-2 years to complete, just with the list I've already compiled. Some specific breads are listed because I want to make sure to try those (Angel biscuits is a subset of biscuits that I list specifically) and others are more general (I intend to make more than 1 kind of French bread and dinner roll)

Here's the list I have so far...

Anadama Angel biscuits Babka Babovka Bagels Baguette Banana bread Bara brith Bauernbrot Bazlama Beer bread Beigli Beignets Bimini Black bread Bolo Levedo Breadsticks Brioche Brotchen Buttermilk biscuits Buttermilk Challah Chapati Choereg Churros Ciabatta Cinnamon rolls Conchas Cornbread Cottage Bread Cowboy bread Croissants Crumpets Danish Kringle Dinner rolls Doughnuts English Muffins Ensaimadas Farmers bread Fastelavnsboller Foccacia Fougasse French bread Hamburger/Hotdog buns Hawaiian sweet bread Hoska Houska Hot Cross Buns Hum Bao Hunza Injera Italian Julekage Kalacs Knaakkebrod Kolache Ksra Kuchen Kugelhopf Lepinja Limpa Malasadas Molasses Bread Monkey bread Naan Nissua Noni Olie Bollen Olive bread Orange rolls Pain au Chocolat Pan de Muertos Pan de Sal Panettone Pani Popo Parantas Paska Peasant bread Pita bread Pizza dough Ponczki Potato Bread Potica Pulla Pumpkin bread Quick bread Pretzels Pumpernickel Rye San Francisco Sourdough Schnitzbrot Scones Semolina Sigtebrod Skolebrod Soda bread Sourdough Spelt bread Stollen Talamee Taralli Tarradls Toaster biscuits Tortillas Vasilopita Whole wheat bread Zeppoli Zopf Zucchini bread

This should be fun! Hopefully my family really likes bread ;)

3 comments:

  1. Well, if your family doesn't, we sure do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When this blog becomes a book, I want at least one of the first ten copies! I'm serious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know when you are ready for some bread taste testers!!! Especially when you get to donuts... I am sure you will need my opinion then :).

    ReplyDelete