Sunday, May 15, 2011

Angel Biscuits... Finally? No, not quite yet.

The angel biscuits have been a long time coming. I apologize - it's only the second bread, and I've already had a long hiatus from blogging. These biscuits have taken a couple of tries to get, but I finally got them right. But first... the failed attempt.

These biscuits don't have a long celebrated history like some of the breads I'll be making. They were originally billed as "The biscuit that even a new bride can make." The south is famous for their buttermilk biscuits - these are a northern take on that standard. They are warm and flaky and soft right out of the oven, but when they cool, they become more of a soft yeast roll, unlike their southern counterparts which are best in the first 20 minutes out of the oven.

I grew up on these - my mother made these all the time. I can remember eating them by the panful. So I had to try to master these as well, if for no other reason than I want to eat them.

My main problem the first failed attempt (see pictures below) was rolling the dough out too thin. I rolled it out to slightly more than 1/4" - they never recovered. By the time they had gone through the oven, they were crunchy on the bottom, and dry in the middle.

Never fear though - I tried again, and nailed it. I'll detail the recipe in the next post...

Happy Baking!

I think I rolled it too thin...Well, maybe I can get it to rise pretty high.
Hmm... not looking good.Yeah. They're not supposed to do that.







No comments:

Post a Comment