Saturday, July 2, 2011

Banana Bread. When in doubt, make it twice.

So I've never actually made banana bread before, and there's a good reason for that. I have a strong dislike for bananas. So, for this recipe, you're going to have to trust the taste testing abilities of my family.

I know there are hundreds of varieties of banana bread out there, so rather than spend the rest of my life baking bread that I don't like, I decided to try making two recipes, and call it good. The first recipe, which I'll lovingly refer to as Recipe #1, is based on a recipe from Flour Bakery in Boston. This is the more traditional banana bread that I chose to make, but as you'll see, it is anything but plain.

Let's get right to the recipe:

1 2/3 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup plus 2 T granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 Cup oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
2 T sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

1. Prepare a loaf pan by greasing the sides and lining the bottom with wax or parchment paper.

2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.

3. In another medium bowl, beat the sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.

4. While continuing to whisk, drizzle in the oil until combined.

5. Add the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla, mix until combined.

6. Carefully fold in the dry ingredients - be sure not to overmix, gently fold until moistened.

7. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (I had to bake 1 hour).

8. When a toothpick comes out clean, cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan.

A side note: Be very gentle removing this from the oven. I bumped it oh so slightly, and the center fell instantly.

My family enjoyed this one - said it was very moist and flavorful.

On to recipe #2!

This recipe is one that I found where someone had modified a recipe from Cook's Illustrated. I modified their recipe further, so who knows what it really is. My family calls it, "Yum!"

2 Cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 Cups chopped semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 Cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 Cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled (if you use it hot, it will cook the eggs)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350F

1. Prepare a loaf pan by greasing the sides and lining the bottom with wax or parchment paper.

2. Mix the banana, eggs, yogurt, butter, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.

3. Stir the chocolate into the banana mixture (adding it now reduces the risk of over mixing)

4. Sift the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda into a medium bowl and add to the banana mixture.

5. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet. As above, be careful not to overmix.

6. Pour into prepared pan and put into the oven.

7. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

8. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan.

My family's comments on this bread were that it was slightly less sweet than the first (I used less sugar because I was adding chocolate), and that is was "Sooo good!"

Happy Baking!




The most important ingredient: Bananas!
Recipe #1 ready for the oven




Ready to enjoy
Chocolate makes everything better




Recipe #2 ready for the oven
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment