Friday, June 1, 2012

I digress, but in a good direction. Doughnuts anyone?

So I failed miserably at sourdough. I decided to wait until the weather is warmer (which it is now, very nice and humid) to try again. The day after my last post, the starter refused to grow at all. Hopefully my next attempt will work better, and I can continue to post the process when I catch up to where I was.

In the meantime... today is National Doughnut Day. That seems worthy of a post, no?

Here we go. I made plain cake doughnuts tonight, I will certainly revisit this again to try other kinds of doughnuts as well.

This recipe is courtesy of Allrecipes.com, and is very similar to the doughnuts I used to eat by the handfuls at coffee hour after church when I was growing up.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 T baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg. (Ok, I used two dashes)
2 T melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
Oil for frying

1. Preheat the oil in your deep fryer to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together in a large bowl all the dry ingredients.
3. Mix in the butter until it become slightly crumbly (there's not enough butter to make it ALL crumbly)
4. Stir in the milk and egg until it forms a smooth, very soft dough. If the dough is like a drippy batter, knead in extra flour, a tablespoon at a time, until it is thick enough to form a very soft ball (see photo)
5. Knead lightly, then place on a floured surface. Dust the top of the ball with flour to lightly coat.
6. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
7. Cut into desired shape. I cut most of mine into traditional doughnuts (and doughnut holes). Then I took the scraps, divided them into thirds, and made a braided doughnut. (See pictures)
8. Carefully drop the doughnuts into the hot oil. Do not crowd the fryer.
9. Fry for 3 minutes, turning at 1:30. Drain on paper towels.

These came out really good - a bit crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. The cinnamon and nutmeg add great flavor - no frosting or glazing needed (although use of either is not discouraged!)

Enjoy! Happy Baking... er... frying!
A perfect ball of dough

Rolled out and ready to cut

That looks about right.



Save those doughnut holes!




Using every bit of dough
The first one is in!
These cook much more quickly - watch them closely
Three minutes worked for the braid too

Those look perfect

Those came out pretty good too
Enjoy! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment